Your smile is one of the most captivating features about you, but beneath that captivating smile could lie a silent adversary—periodontal disease. At Trinity Dental Arts, we’re committed to not only enhancing the health of your teeth but also ensuring their foundation, your gums, are in optimal health.
Below, let’s take a closer look at periodontal disease, how it’s diagnosed, and the cutting-edge treatments our Trinity, FL office provides. Call today to schedule an appointment!
What Is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease, commonly referred to as gum disease, is a chronic inflammatory condition affecting the tissues that support your teeth, including the gums and the jawbone. It begins as gingivitis, a milder form characterized by red and swollen gums. If left untreated, it can escalate to periodontitis, where the gums pull away from the teeth, forming pockets that become infected. As the disease progresses to advanced periodontitis, it can result in tooth loss and has been linked to other systemic health problems like heart disease and diabetes.
How Is Periodontal Disease Diagnosed?
At Trinity Dental Arts, our diagnosis process is meticulous and comprehensive. During your routine dental check-up:
- We will review your medical and dental history, considering factors that might increase your risk.
- A dental professional will measure the depth of the sulcus (the pocket or space) between your tooth and the surrounding gum with a probe.
- Your gums will be examined for signs of inflammation, swelling, or bleeding.
- Dental x-rays will be taken to check for bone loss in areas where deeper pocket depths are observed.
The gathered data allows us to determine the severity of the disease and recommend appropriate treatment options.
How Is Periodontal Disease Treated?
This is a non-surgical procedure used primarily to treat gum disease before it becomes severe. The process involves:
- Scaling: Scaling involves the meticulous removal of tartar and bacteria from the surfaces of your teeth and beneath your gum line.
- Root planing: Root planing involves gently smoothing the roots of your teeth, promoting the reattachment of your gums to enhance oral health.
Local anesthesia might be used to numb the areas being treated. For many, this treatment, combined with proper dental care at home, can help re-establish the health of their gums.
Laser Periodontal Surgery
Laser periodontal surgery is a modern, minimally invasive treatment option that employs laser technology to precisely and effectively treat the periodontal pockets. Advantages include:
- Minimal discomfort and swelling post-operatively
- Faster healing times as compared to traditional surgical methods
- Reduction of bacteria within periodontal pockets, promoting natural healing
- Preservation of more healthy tissue, leading to better outcomes
Maintaining Gum Health
Post-treatment, maintaining gum health is pivotal. At Trinity Dental Arts, we believe that a combination of professional care and diligent home maintenance is the best way to ensure the longevity of your gum health. Recommendations include:
- Regular dental check-ups and cleanings
- Brushing your teeth twice daily using fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach
- Using an antimicrobial mouth rinse to help reduce plaque
Choose Trinity Dental Arts For A Healthier Smile
Being a doctor-owned facility, we take pride in offering a personalized touch devoid of the impersonal revolving door approach seen elsewhere. Our implant specialist doctor leverages unmatched expertise, guiding a team dedicated to providing you with a comfortable environment and top-notch treatments that cater precisely to your needs, enhancing the health of your smile.
With our expertise, state-of-the-art technology, and personalized approach, we aim to make every visit a step towards a healthier smile. Let us be the guardians of your gum health. Book your appointment today!